In an attempt to resolve a class-action lawsuit related to wage theft, McDonald’s has agreed to pay about $26 Million to its staff members. This is said to be the most recent development in a series of disputes between the key restaurant chain and its employees.
With the latest agreement, McDonald’s has put an end to a long legal battle in which California workers accused it of not following the overtime payment laws and disallowing the staff members to have timely breaks. A court filing from the Fight for $15—advocator for employees’ rights—states that around 38,000 individuals were represented in the lawsuit. In 2013, McDonald’s was accused by Maria Sanchez and other employees stating that it infringed on the state law and did not compensate them even after they worked for more than 8 Hours during a 24-hour period.
In response, McDonald’s stated, “While we trust that our employment practices obey the California Labor Code, we have decided to settle this court case. As an employer, McDonald’s takes its responsibility seriously and is strongly committed to giving impartial treatment to all of our staff members.” Furthermore, the firm added that it frequently carries out various training sessions and supports for continued compliance of all wage and hour laws.
On a similar note, recently, McDonald’s notified the Geraldine kebab store that it might take the store to court for using a logo that resembles the fast-food company’s logo. Reportedly, the Kebab World store—which will be shortly rolled out—has an identical logo to that of the famous fast-food franchise McDonald’s. Simon Kenny, the spokesman for McDonald’s New Zealand, stated that the firm informed the Geraldine kebab store last week that it is using the McDonald’s logo illegally. He said, “On November 22, McDonald’s lawyers sent a letter to the business informing that it will have to stop using the logo in order to avoid legal action in the High Court.”