France announces first death in Europe of virus patient

White House considers ban on China flights amid coronavirus outbreak

[ad_1]

rssfeeds.usatoday.com

France’s health minister has announced the first coronavirus death in Europe.

Minister Agnes Buzyn says Saturday that “I was informed last night of the death of an 80-year-old patient who had been hospitalized … since Jan. 25.”

The patient, a Chinese tourist from the province of Hubei, had a lung infection caused by the COVID-19 virus. He arrived in France on Jan. 16, then was hospitalized on Jan. 25 under strict isolation measures. His condition deteriorated rapidly.

His daughter was also hospitalized but authorities say she is expected to recover.

Europe has 46 cases of the virus that first emerged in central China in December. Nine European nations have reported cases, with Germany having the most at 16.

China is cooperating, WHO expert says, disputing White House

A World Health Organization official said Friday that the group had no evidence to support a claim by a White House economic adviser of lack of transparency by China over the coronavirus outbreak and called on countries to “avoid politicizing this issue right now.”

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *