Press "Enter" to skip to content

Detroit parishioners sue over ousted Catholic priest Eduard Perrone



rssfeeds.usatoday.com

DETROIT – After 41 years in the priesthood, Father Eduard Perrone wasn’t prepared for the hellfire that tore through his parish last summer: He was accused of molesting an altar boy decades earlier, and ousted from his church.

The sex abuse claim blindsided the pastor’s loyal flock, though they believe he is innocent – and have launched an unorthodox crusade to clear his name.

In an unprecedented lawsuit in Michigan, and possibly the country, 20 parishioners from Assumption Grotto are suing the Detroit archdiocese for $20 million, claiming it caused them emotional distress by taking away their priest.

The lawsuit alleges church officials “fabricated” a rape charge against Perrone because they didn’t like his conservative views and wanted him out, and because they wanted to avoid bad press. Perrone was removed from the clergy one month after reporters started asking questions about a fondling claim against him. 

According to police reports, the claim involved a 54-year-old man who alleged that Perrone started grooming him when he was 13 while he was an altar boy at St. Peter Catholic Church in Mount Clemens.

Father Eduard Perrone does his morning prayer on Friday, February 7, 2020. Perrone, a popular Catholic priest who was suspended last summer for alleged child sex abuse, maintains he is innocent and that he was framed by church officials who wanted to get rid of him.

The man alleged that Perrone groped him during swim parties at the Perrone family lake house, that he served minors wine, had boys stay overnight in the rectory and took him and another boy on a private camping trip, police and church records reviewed by the Free Press say. The church learned of these allegations in 2018, after the man’s wife called an archdiocese hotline and said that her husband had been abused by his priest 40 years earlier. An investigation followed.

Perrone has denied the allegations.

“It seems like it’s all a nightmare,” Perrone said in a recent interview with the Free Press. “I can’t believe this is happening to me. Forty-one years of priesthood … and this has happened? It seems not possible … I know this didn’t happen.”

The parishioners’ lawsuit raises questions about the credibility of the accuser, who, according to police reports, suffers from mental health issues and has changed his story multiple times: He started out saying he was raped, but for reasons unknown, he took back that claim and has said there was groping and fondling only.

The lawsuit alleges that the accuser eventually denied to church officials that he was ever sexually abused by Perrone, though police reports tell a different story – one of a traumatized and devout Catholic who struggled with guilt and shame, feared his disclosures would lead to retaliation, so he shut down at times, then opened back up with the help of therapy. 



Source link

Brett Gonzalez
Author Details
Content Writer At Healthcare Industry Reports

Brett loves to read and write about business and thus, has some of the best contents regarding business penciled down for a number of reputed portals. Brett has successfully completed 2 Years with the Healthcare Industry Reports portal. He plans to have a part-time course chosen for all the juniors to be educated in the field of writing. Brett shifted to writing almost immediately after the completion of a degree in Business Administration. He plans to share his skills through writing. Brett’s career choice seems to have been excellent as we are being blessed with some of the most informative articles on a constant basis.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *